These thumbprint sugar cookies are perfectly soft and chewy and are filled with a delicious dairy-free cream “cheese” frosting! I gave one of them to my husband to try and he said asked for the whole plate haha! They’re super easy to make and they’re also sugar free, gluten free, dairy free, low carb, Keto & Paleo! Enjoy!
Servings: 24 cookies
Difficulty Level: Easy
Preparation time: 40 minutes (includes chilling)
Baking time: 8-12 minutes
3/4 cup coconut oil, softened
3/4 cup golden monkfruit (or coconut sugar for refined sugar-free)
1 large egg, room temperature
1 + 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract
2 + 3/4 cups almond flour (spooned and leveled)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp seat salt (I use Himalayan sea salt)
1 1/4 cup powdered monkfruit (or 1 cup granulated monkfruit blended into powder)
1 8oz container dairy-free cream cheese
5 Tbsp coconut oil, solid
3/4 tsp almond extract
1/4 tsp sea salt, to taste (I use Himalayan sea salt)
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. In a large bowl, cream together the softened coconut oil and monkfruit for about two minutes until fluffy. Beat in the egg, vanilla and almond extract for another minute.
3. In a medium bowl, mix the almond flour, baking soda, baking powder and sea salt together. Gradually add the dry mixture to the creamed mixture in the large bowl while beating. Combine well.
4. Place the dough in the fridge to chill for about 30 minutes.
5. While the dough is chilling, use another bowl to cream together the frosting ingredients in a food processor until smooth. Place in the fridge to chill. See notes if you don’t have a food processor*
6. Once the dough has chilled, use a small cookie scooper to scoop the dough onto a baking sheet that is lined with parchment paper. Scoop eight cookies per baking sheet. Roll each scoop into a round ball using your hands, place the dough back onto the pan and press an indent into the middle of the cookies using your thumb. Place in the preheated oven and bake for 8-10 minutes.
7. Remove the cookies from the oven and allow them to cool completely. Once the cookies have cooled, fill the indents with cream “cheese” frosting and enjoy!
* Using a food processor will result in the creamiest frosting, but if you do not have one you can can use an electric mixer. To avoid clumping, make sure the cream cheese is room temperature and beat it together with the powdered monkfruit until combined. Then add the coconut oil (melted, since you’re using an electric mixer), almond extract and sea salt. It will be runny, so you will need to let it chill in the fridge longer than if you using the food processor.
Nutrition Facts per cookie:
calories: 115 kcals
net carbs: 1g